Please forward this error screen to sharedip-16662286. Not to be confused with William Fellner. Vilibald Srećko Feller, was a Croatian-American mathematician specializing in probability theory. Eugen Feller was a famous chemist and created Elsa william dalrymple books free download pdf named after his mother.
According to Gian-Carlo Rota, Eugen Feller’s surname was a “Slavic tongue twister”, which William changed at the age of twenty. This claim appears to be false. His forename, Vilibald, was chosen by his Catholic mother for the saint day of his birthday. This section needs additional citations for verification. Feller held a docent position at the University of Kiel beginning in 1928. Because he refused to sign a Nazi oath, he fled the Nazis and went to Copenhagen, Denmark in 1933.
Finally, in 1939 he arrived in the U. 1944 and was on the faculty at Brown and Cornell. Feller was one of the greatest probabilists of the twentieth century, who is remembered for his championing of probability theory as a branch of mathematical analysis in Sweden and the United States. Mathematicians fleeing from Nazi Germany: Individual fates and global impact. Preface to his Mathematical Methods of Statistics.
Review: An introduction to probability theory and its applications, Vol. Fine Hall in its golden age: Remembrances of Princeton in the early fifties” by Gian-Carlo Rota. Contains a section on Feller at Princeton. This page was last edited on 23 January 2018, at 23:09. Follow the link for more information.
In the 18th century, Adam was considered Scotland’s “Universal Architect”. William Adam was born in Linktown of Abbotshall, now a neighbourhood of Kirkcaldy, Fife, and was baptised on 24 October 1689. In 1714, Adam entered into a partnership with William Robertson of Gladney, a local laird, to set up a brickworks at Linktown. The venture was successful, and Adam has been credited with introducing the manufacture of Dutch pantiles into Scotland. It is not known how William Adam became a successful architect from these beginnings, but by 1721 he was engaged on major projects at Floors Castle, where he executed a design by Vanbrugh, and designing extensions to Hopetoun House. However, unlike the Episcopalians Smith and Bruce, Adam was a Presbyterian Whig, in a time of Whig domination of the British government. In 1727 Adam and Sir John Clerk travelled to London, visiting a number of country seats along the way, including Cliveden, Wilton, and Wanstead House.
By 1728, Adam was firmly established as a successful architect with numerous ongoing business concerns, including coal mining, salt panning, quarrying and agricultural improvements, although in that year occurred the death of his partner and father-in-law William Robertson. His business activities continued to expand. Since the commission for Hopetoun in 1721, he had leased quarries near Queensferry which provided the stone for his building contracts. In 1741 Adam was forced to initiate legal proceedings against William, Lord Braco, to retrieve unpaid fees arising from his work at Duff House. There was no formal contract, and client and architect disagreed on costs for carved stonework. After the Jacobite rising of 1745, Adam’s position as Mason to the Board of Ordnance brought him a number of large military contracts in the Highlands. William Adam succumbed to illness in late 1747, dying the following summer.
He was buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard, Edinburgh, where John Adam designed the family mausoleum built in 1753. This was restored by Edinburgh City Council and Historic Scotland in 1997 to mark the 250th anniversary of his death. Adam used a wide variety of sources for his designs, and created an inventive personal style of decoration. His first commission seems to have been for extensions to Hopetoun House, near Edinburgh, for Charles Hope, 1st Earl of Hopetoun.
Hopetoun had been built only 20 years before by Sir William Bruce, and Adam was retained to rebuild the south-east wing. Other early designs included Drum House, which boasted Scotland’s first venetian window, and Mavisbank, both near Edinburgh. Duff House, Adam’s major work of the 1730s, demonstrates his accretion of local and foreign influences, presenting itself as “a medieval castle in baroque dress”. Built between 1735 and 1739, Adam acted as contractor and architect to William, Lord Braco. Adam’s other houses of the 1730s include House of Dun in Angus, Tinwald in Dumfriesshire, Lawyers House in Perthshire, and Haddo House in Aberdeenshire. After 1740, Adam built only two houses, Cumbernauld House for the Earl of Wigton, and Cally House for Alexander Murray, which was not complete until 1763. The last Jacobite rising occurred in 1745, when “Bonnie Prince Charlie” attempted to seize the British throne, aided by rebellious Scottish Highlanders.
In the 1720s Adam planned to publish a book of architectural drawings of Scottish houses, including his own work and that of others. His Vitruvius Scoticus was started and named in response to Colen Campbell’s Vitruvius Britannicus. He commissioned some engravings during his 1727 trip to London, and had begun to collect subscriptions. William Adam’s dominant position in Scottish architecture is reinforced by his lack of contemporaries. Adam’s death coincided with the final defeat of the Jacobite threat in 1746, and the advance of the Scottish Enlightenment, which resulted in new styles of building becoming popular.