Please forward this error screen to sharedip-1071805870. James Hoban’s original design was modeled after the Leinster House in Dublin, Ireland and did not include the north and ornamentation in architecture pdf porticos. The White House construction began in 1792. John Adams became the first president to take residence in the building on November 1, 1800.
It was a grand mansion in the neo-classical federal style, with details that echo classical Greek Ionic architecture. The house that Thomas Jefferson entered in March of 1801 was still unfinished. He created a wilderness museum in the Entrance Hall, with mounted animals and Indian artifacts. He housed his private secretary in canvas-walled chambers in the south end of the unfinished East Room. In 1814, during the War of 1812, much of Washington, DC, was burned down by British troops and the White House was gutted, leaving only the exterior walls standing. Despite architect Latrobe’s suggestions for changes, President James Madison pledged to restore the White House just as it was. Additional changes followed in 1835, when running water and central heating were installed.
President Johnson’s daughter redecorated the house in bold geometric designs. And large glass conservatories were constructed on either side of the mansion, providing flowers and plants of all sorts, as well as a pleasant place to talk or read a book. US Grant converted the White House to a high Victorian style, although his choices were openly mocked by some. This was further enhanced by Louis Tiffany with Tiffany glass windows, gaslight fixtures, and other ornamentation in the 1890s.
Electric lights replaced gaslights starting in 1891. Caroline Scott Harrison proposed a major expansion of the White House in 1889 which was revived in 1900 by Colonel Bingham. Wings of more or less the same size as the Residence mansion were proposed for the east and west sides, turned sideways to face the East and West Executive Drives, and a new conservatory was proposed to connect them on their south sides. Although the plans were rejected, the idea of building east and west wings was taken up by Theodore Roosevelt. In 1902, Theodore Roosevelt embarked on an extensive remodeling of the Residence.
Plans had been in the works for years to build a new White House or expand the original. TR trod lightly, though, and merely removed the Victorian decor accumulated over the previous thirty years and returned the White House to its Federal-period roots with some Georgian elements. The Wilsons renovated part of the attic in 1917 to include a painting room and guest rooms, but it was never adequate. Calvin Coolidge discovered how leaky the roof was during a rain storm and, in 1927, had the roof and attic replaced with a full third floor using steel girders. Although this provided better accommodations for servants and guests, the combination of the somewhat hasty TR restoration and new steel structure badly weakened the building over the next two decades. In 1948, President Harry S Truman added a much-discussed balcony to the South Portico at the second-floor level.